Our lawyers have extensive experience representing some of the world’s most innovative companies in transactions involving significant intellectual property, information technology, software, and data rights. Because we know technology, we speak our clients’ language and understand the rights and protections that our clients need throughout their product and business growth cycles.
The following is a partial list of services we provide to our clients:
- Negotiating complex technology transactions, including alliance, reseller and joint venture agreements;
- Negotiating master service agreeements;
- Drafting sponsored academic research agreements;
- Negotiating agreements for the joint development and commercialization of products and services;
- Negotiating outsourcing agreements;
- Licensing-in, and licensing-out IP and technology, and;
- M&A transactions involving technology and IP.
Our Healthcare IT practice combines two areas of law and experience that few law firms can match. Our attorneys have a rare combination of in-depth information technology experience and real-world experience representing some of the world’s largest healthcare technology companies. Our Healthcare IT clients benefit from our understanding of the nuances of IT, healthcare law, HIPAA, and years of experience successfully closing high-stakes transactions for the most demanding clients in the industry.
We assist our clients with a wide array of healthcare IT matters, including:
- Commercializing healthcare related products and services;
- Navigating the complex and changing regulatory environment, including HIPAA;
- Data rights protection, data use licensing, and monetization;
- Drafting or negotiating Business Associate Agreements, and;
- Entering into strategic relationships with industry partners and value added resellers.
Our Intellectual Property practice focuses on helping our clients protect, acquire and commercialize their valuable intellectual property assets. Our experience encompasses a wide array of industries and technologies, including software, healthcare, healthcare IT, digital media, sports organizations, food and beverage, and big data, just to name a few. Our attorneys have served as executive and senior in-house and outside counsel to many leading technology companies, as well as startups.
We emphasize the following intellectual property related services:
Trademark, Copyright and Internet
Our Trademark, Copyright, and Internet practice focuses on helping our clients in the fast growing areas of e-commerce, social media, and online entertainment.
We have assisted clients in:
- Trademark clearance and prosecution of new marks, including filings with the United States Patent and Trademark Office and U.S. Customs & Border Protection;
- Trademark enforcement matters, including online infringement and counterfeit/gray market goods;
- Trademark assignments and consent, coexistence, and settlement agreements;
- Domain name disputes, including UDRP filings;
- Trademark licensing, promotional, and distribution transactions;
- Copyright counseling, registration, licensing and enforcement;
- Advising on unfair competition, false advertising, and rights of publicity and;
- Trademark and copyright portfolio auditing and management.
Our Patent practice focuses on helping our clients protect some of their most innovative developments. Patents can allow the inventor to preclude competitors from practicing the patent, which can help create a competitive advantage in the marketplace.
Our patent related services include:
- Patent cross-licenses and freedom to operate agreements;
- Strategic IP portfolio analysis and management;
- Reviewing innovations for potential patentability, and;
- Establishing and managing best in class patent programs.
Open Source Software (OSS)
Our OSS practice includes counseling on all aspects of OSS use, compliance and risk mitigation. While OSS use in the software development process has become ubiquitous, using OSS in a non-compliant manner may lead to unnecessary risks associated with breach of contract claims, copyright infringement claims, and risks to the developer’s IP rights.
We frequently assist clients with the following OSS related legal services:
- OSS compliance review of mixed-source commercial products, including review of OSS reports generated by commercial OSS scanning services;
- Mitigation of OSS license non-compliance, including drafting required OSS license attribution documentation;
- OSS due diligence during M&A, and;
- Creation of internal OSS use policies.